History Page for
Whitney Lodge 229 F&AM
Home | History | Meetings | Officers | Past Masters | Masters Trestle Board | Links | Map | How2B1 | Memorial

Bottom of page

NEW!! Virtual walk through Whitney Lodge.



Click for full size image
This sign now hangs in our dining room. It once hung over the door of the original lodge built in 1858. Click on the picture to the right and see full size image,  you can just make out the sign above the door on the far left of the building.
Point of interest, the old lodge is still standing.
Click for full size image
Click for full size image This is the new Lodge as it looked in 1953. Note the lack of trees in the background. All farm fields back then. 
Since then the Prairie Creek Reservoir was built and the water is a few hundred yards out the back door of the Lodge building.
This is how our Lodge looks today. Click for full size image.

This picture was brought to the Lodge by Bro. Jeff Riggin. It shows the corner stone being set in 1953 on our new Lodge. Click on picture for larger image.



        On March 4, 1857, Brothers Thomas Whitney, John S. Hutchings, Able
Gibson, William Quigley, Benjamin G. Cunningham, Samuel Weidner, and
Samuel V. Jump, all members of Delaware Lodge No. 46, Muncie, Indiana,
and Jonas Harris of Hagerstown Lodge No. 49, Hagerstown, Indiana, met it
the office of Dr. S. V. Jump to organize a Masonic Lodge in the village
of New Burlington, Indiana.

        A dispensation dated May 28, 1857 was granted by the Grand Lodge of
Indiana. The Lodge was to be known as Whitney Lodge, U.D.
On June 13, 1857, the first meeting of Whitney Lodge, U.D. was held, with
the following brothers as officers: S. V. Jump, W.M.; Jonas Harris, S.W.;
Thomas Whitney, J.W.; Benjamin G. Cunningham, Treas.; John S. Hutchings,
Secy.; William Quigley, S.D.; Samuel Weidner, J.D.; Able Gibson, Tyler,
and R.V. Murray Secy., Pro-tem.

        On May 25, 1858, a charter was issued to Whitney Lodge No. 229 F. & A.M.
signed by the Most Worshipful Grand Master, Solomon D. Bayless of the
Grand Lodge of Indiana. Brother Samuel V. Jump M.D. was appointed as the
first Worshipful Master of Whitney Lodge. Lodge dues were $2.00 annually.
        The original Lodge was located in the upper level of Dr. Jump's office
which was located in New Burlington, Indiana. On April 15, 1953,
construction began on what is now the site of Whitney Lodge. On April 7,
1956, the new Lodge Hall was dedicated by the Most Worshipful Grand
Master Joseph A. Batchelor of the Grand Lodge of Indiana. Many Brothers
donated their time and efforts to erect the new Lodge hall and also to
promote various projects to raise the necessary funds to pay for the

        It maybe said that the new Temple was started on "FAITH", erected on
"HOPE", and completed by the cooperative efforts of interested people,
that may be termed "CHARITY". It is impossible to express our gratitude
individually to all the people, members and nonmembers of the Order, the
organizations and business establishments, who contributed to our success
in this accomplishment.

        In expressing our gratitude, we can say, "To the Brethren, our friends,
neighbors and the community, we of Whitney Lodge No. 229 F. & A.M.,
present a Temple erected to the service of God and dedicated to the
practical application of the principles of Christianity."

Taken from the First 125 Years of Whitney Lodge
Condensed By  Jerry Zearbaugh PM

© 2000 Whitney 229. All Rights Reserved
Top of page